INTEGRAL WORLD: EXPLORING THEORIES OF EVERYTHING
An independent forum for a critical discussion of the integral philosophy of Ken Wilber
Publication dates of essays (month/year) can be found under "Essays".
HUGH MARTIN is listed in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in the World. He has appeared on numerous talk shows, led seminars at many colleges and corporations, and spoken at numerous professional conferences and colloquia. Mr. Martin is president of the FINRA-registered securities brokerage firm, Hugh Martin Securities, and of the SEC-registered investment advisory firm, Hugh Martin & Co. Hugh is also president and co-founder of the life planning and counseling firm, Whole Life Counseling. AMALIA KAYE MARTIN ('Kaye') is an early-education specialist, a gifted natural medicine practitioner, and an instructor in nutrition and natural medicine at Baumann College.
JOSEPH CAMPBELL, &
THE MEANING OF LIFE
How Two Great Thinkers Collaborate to Give Us
The Ultimate Hero's Journey of Personal Growth & Human Development
System #8 -- Spiritual Growth
Hugh & Kaye Martin
Hugh & Kaye Martin's new book presents a unique, new way of viewing personal growth and human development. In this series, Integral World presents excerpts from the Advanced Version, Volume 1 -- sections of the book that were omitted from IW's previously-published Introductory Version -- because they are more complex, more speculative, or more controversial than the rest of the book. (This particular section probably the most complex, speculative, and controversial of all.)
Ken Wilber's four 'Transcendent States,' the 'Pre-Trans Fallacy,' 'Spirit,' 'True Self,' 'Witness,' 'Waking Up,' and 'Spirit-in-Action.' How do these esoteric and abstruse concepts square with the Martin's ADAPT Model? These all pertain to Spiritual Growth -- the higher levels of consciousness whereby we experience transcendent bliss, awaken to the Divine Presence, or submit to the guidance of Providence.
Spiritual Growth is a process of Awakening -- of waking up to universal spiritual truths that are unchanging and eternal. This contrasts to normal Actualization Growth, which is the process of changing and 'metamorphosing' from one Stage to the next.
- The Transcendent States. Ken Wilber's four higher States of consciousness.
- The Romantic Fallacy. Where we mistake primitive Stages for higher States of consciousness. And its opposite: The Inverse Romantic Fallacy.
- The Twin Aspects of the Divine Presence: The Immanent Presence, or Core Self. The Transcendent Presence, or Witness.
- Awakening. The process of Waking Up to the Realm of the Spirit.
- Spiritual Practices. Everything from yoga and tai chi to meditation and prayer.
- Spiritual Guides. Pathfinders to the spirit world with no pretensions to infallibility or godhood.
- Developmental Sequences. Progressions of growth for each of nine Arenas in the Realm of the Spirit.
- Providence. Shakespeare's Hamlet says: 'There is a Divinity that shapes our ends, rough-hew them how we may.' How true is this?
- To show you how the process of Spiritual Growth helps people to grow, we present a case study:
- Jean Valjean from Les Miserables -- Jean Valjean, one of the Wretched of the Earth, is awakened to the Divine Presence through a gift of unconditional love. He thereafter dedicates his life to alleviating suffering and serving humanity.
 The process of Spiritual Growth applies Ken Wilber's terms to the subject of Human Development. It does not purport to describe the full implications of Wilber's concepts.
Click here to read the PDF (18MB) of
Instalment #4, System #8 -- Spiritual Growth
directly in your browser
(Or right-click on the link to save this PDF to your computer.)
We recommend you read this book by opening a two-page spread, just as if you were reading a printed book. To do this, please right-click this link to download this PDF installment and save it to your computer. Then double-click to open the file in Adobe Acrobat. Then go to View > Page Display > And check: Two-Page View, Gaps Between Pages, and Show Cover Page. If possible, view the book on a big monitor. This way you'll get the full impact of all the graphics and tables in the book's two-page, six-perspective format.
The Human Odyssey series comes in four versions of differing lengths -- with three editions of each: Color, Black-&-White, and Kindle. The authors recommend beginning with the Quickstart Color Version.
To see all buying options for The Human Odyssey, click this Amazon link
To buy this book use the
Amazon ads at the top of this page.
Publication History “The Human Odyssey”
- The Human Odyssey, Our Journey of Life from Infancy to Eternity
- Ken Wilber, Joseph Campbell & the Meaning of Life